Monday, May 30, 2011

MD in the city

My friend B was in town for the week-end and I decided to take her to see "Sleep no more". I had seen it 3 weeks ago (may 17th blog) and was eager to see it again as it's impossible to see all the scenes in one time ! I loved it more  this time as I was lucky to witness some sexy-intense drama scenes I had missed before.
Afterwards, we went to Peels( Bowery and 2nd street) for a quick and delicious dinner, the new venture of the owners of Freeman's. I like the place very much, it has a cool vibe, nice crowd at the bar area on the second floor.  
On saturday morning, we were at the opening (9:30 am !)  of the MET to see the Alexander Mc Queen show at the Costume Institute.It was already getting very crowded (they had 43 000 visitor the first week !) so we started by the end ! It is beyond beautiful, the scenography was done by Sam Gainsbury who was Mc Queen's show producer and very close collaborator for many years.  It's so magnificent that I'm going back again. Then a bike ride in Central Park with a stop at Le Pain quotidien near Ship Meadow, the coolest place to bake in the sun. 
Shopping on Bleecker street, there's a new Marc Jacobs store and it's a bookstore : Bookmarc (bleecker and west 11th st) great selection of art books and  MJ accessories. Perfect lunch on the terrace of San Ambroeus (west 4th and Charles street)where I had a good mushroom/mozzarella omelette and shared a yummy lentil salad. We went to  The Monocle Shop (Hudson and Charles street) to find the exclusive perfume they made with Comme des garçons, Hinoki. The store is an offshoot of the magazine Monocle, created by the brilliant Tyler Brulé (I read his Financial Times column every week-end). 
In Soho, we went to the new James Perse store (Broome and Mercer street), I love their basics and the store is more spacious that the ones on Bleecker street. 
At Agas and Tamar (250 Mott street between Houston and Prince, my friend bought some very cute and simple gold earrings with a double hoop. I discovered this store recently and really like their jewelry collection. 
At night, we tried the new Imperial no 9 restaurant of the Mondrian hotel (9 crosby street or 150 Lafayette), I made a reservation there after a very good article in the New York magazine and everyone loved the food (mostly seafood). They encourage you to share which we did !  Our favorites : King crab à la plancha, fluke sashimi, a cold asparagus soup, spicy cucumber keemchee. Ask to be seated in the big room, the greenhouse. After dinner, we went for drinks at Miss Lily's and because of the long week-end, it wasn't crowded and we had the best time ! Music was great, people were relaxed, dancing and drinking red stripes !
Sunday, we went for another bike ride in the Park and the Whitney to see the Glenn Ligon and Cory Arcangel shows, both a bit disappointing.. and at night, I went to the movies to see "The Tree of Life" : the nature shots were much too long but the story of this family and their three boys over a 20 years period really touched me, Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain (who hardly says a word) were great. I didn't really see the point of the contemporary segments with Sean Penn (one of the 3 boys as a lost adult) but overall I would recommend it ! 
I ended my long week-end with spinning with Rique  and writing my blog !











No comments:

Post a Comment