Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I  go to the movies a lot, usually on my own at matinees, even when it's sunny I don't care but when it's been raining non-stop  for a couple of weeks you really enjoy being at the movies ! 
I saw two  movies last week with my friend G that I really liked : "Everything must go" with Will Ferrell by Dan Rush and "Midnight in Paris", the new Woody Allen. Will Ferrell is excellent as an former alcoholic who just relapsed, lost his job and his wife, he sets up camp on his front lawn where he spends a couple of days before selling off everything he has in an "estate sale" with the help of a teenage boy and a pregnant neighbor, the beautiful Rebecca Hall. My expectations for the Woody Allen were low as the trailer didn't really do it for me but my friend D in Paris loved it and as we like the same movies and books so I went and was really surprised Owen Wilson is credible as an Hollywood screenwriter-who-wants-to-be-a-novelist and his fiancée Rachel Mc Adams (unforgettable in "The Notebook") plays perfectly a spoiled little brat.In Paris with her parents, staying at The Bristol, he escapes the family pressure by talking walks at night. Magically, he gets transported in the 30's and mingles with Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, Picasso, Dali, Man Ray  and many more.. Some scenes are hilarious, Marion Cotillard plays wonderfully his love interest.


I was waiting impatiently to see "JERUSALEM", the English play which received raving reviews. There will be no play if Mark Rylance wasn't playing Johnny "Rooster" Byron. He is the play, he's bigger that life and it's hard for the other actors to find their place... The story isn't very compelling : "Rooster" is about to be expelled from the land where his trailer has been parked for many years, parties, drug-dealing has been going on there. He's a mentor for the local youth. I liked it but wasn't blown away as I thought I would be !


I went to "Miss Lily's" (132 West Houston between Sullivan and Mc Dougal)  for lunch, the new spot partly owned by Serge Becker (La Esquina, the Box) and I liked the "decor", the food was ok ( I was on my cleanse so just had a salad with grilled fish). I haven't been there at night yet but supposedly it's a zoo ! Belinda, Serge's ex wife, is the wednesday DJ and she's very good so I might check her up tonight !!


I went to see "Lady Rizo" at Joe's pub. I had seen her in march and was blown away. She is an amazing performer and the friends I had invited were also enthralled with her. She did a homage to Nina Simone and in between songs she jokes, teases and stocks ! I think I might go back a 3rd time on June 17th (www.joespub.com.
That same night, at The Standart Grill, I decided to take a break from my cleanse and had a shot of vodka, a salad and an omelette. After 14 days, it was well deserved !! On the rooftop of Le Bain, they recently opened a Crêpe booth, yummy !!!


At the celebratory MOMA/VOLKSWAGEN dinner monday night, the violin prodigy, Hahn-Bin, performed under the eyes of Madonna, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, Rachel Weisz and many more.. he dresses as a woman, wears make-up and puts on a real and fun show while playing the violin like no one else.. Marta Wainwright also performed, she was great, had never heard of her before. Marina Abramovic and Terence Koh did a "performance" : she was commenting a slide show with pictures of previous performances that included VW vehicles and TK was commenting in an imaginary language.. not everyone thought this was funny, I did !


Everyone who has missed the season finale of SNL hosted by Justin Timberlake with Lady Gaga as the musical guest, should go immediately to nbc.com and catch it ! I guarantee that you will laugh !




















1 comment:

  1. There is one movie, quite an old one, that impressed me: Revolver.

    And good luck with your blog. If Shala speaks so high of you, you are going to be just fine. And I do like the way you write. It is easy to see that it is coming from inside. Is natural.

    ReplyDelete